Fall 2018 Community Events
If you know of other free/ cheap events going on in Livingston County that you think families with young children should know about, please share the information to Holly at HollyKupec@LivingstonESA.org. THANKS!
September 2018 Community Events:
- Monday Sept 3rd: Labor Day Observed- enjoy time with your family and friends
- Weds Sept 5 @ 11am-12: Barnes and Noble Storytime (free)
- Fri Sept 7th @5pm-11pm: Downtown Brighton’s Smokin’ Jazz and Barbecue Blues Festival
- Sat Sept 8th @12pm-11pm: Downtown Brighton’s Smokin’ Jazz and Barbecue Blues Festival
- Sat Sept 8 @ 8am- 1pm: Free Dental Day at Fowlerville Dental Center/ 517- 223- 3779
- Sat Sept 8 @ 9:30am- 3:30pm: Family Emergency Readiness Expo (free) located at Public Safety Complex/ Howell
- Tues Sept 11th @ 6:30-8pm: Homeschool Family Night @ Hartland Library
- Weds Sept 12th @ 7-9pm: Star Gazing at Hartland Library
- Thursday Sept 13th @ 5:30-7:30pm: Volunteer Livingston Thank you Event at Mt. Brighton
- Sept 15 @ 10am- 5 pm: Annual Fall Fest in Fowlerville (parking free/ entrance fees vary based on age)
- Sept 17th@ 5-7:30pm: Foster Care Orientation
- Sept 17th @ 6:30- 8pm: ARC of Livingston County Parent Support Group
- Tues Sept 18th @ 7pm: Hartland Library “Caring for Children” FREE Workshop for parents and caregivers
- Thursday Sept 20th @ 5:45- 7:30pm: Great Start Parent Coalition Meeting
- Sept 23rd @ 1pm- 4pm: Chalk the walk at Brighton Library
- Sat Sept 29th @10am-1pm: 3rd Annual Maker Saturday
- Sat Sept 29th @11am- 2pm: Tons of Trucks/ Kensington Metropark- free event but park pass is required
- Sat Sept 29th @12pm- 4pm: The Big Red Barrel Drug Drop off at Howell Walgreens
October 2018 Community Events:
- Thursday October 4th @ 5:30-7:45pm: Great Start Livingston Parenting Workshop Week 1
- October 7th @ 2-3pm: Free Karma Yoga Class at Hamburg Fitness
- Thursday October 11 @ 5:30-7:45pm: Great Start Livingston Parenting Workshop Week 2
- Saturday October 13 @ 9am-12: Community Baby Fair at LESA/ Howell
- Sunday October 14th @1-4pm: Monster Splash at Howell Aquatic Center (Cost $5/child, adults are free)
- Thursday October 18 @ 5:30-7:45pm: Great Start Livingston Parenting Workshop Week 3
- Wednesday October 24th @ 6-7 pm* or until supplies run out: Halloween Trick or Treat at Tanger Outlets (designed for children 12 and under)
- Thursday October 25th @ 5:30-7:45pm: Great Start Livingston Parenting Workshop Week 4
- Friday October 26th @ 6-8pm: Livingston County Sheriff’s Office Trunk or Treat (FREE) *Click for address and more information
- Saturday October 27th @ 6-8pm: Pinckney Halloween Spooktacular (FREE/ downtown Pinckney)
- Saturday October 27 @ 6-8pm: Legend of Sleepy Howell/ downtown Howell- rain or shine
- Weds October 31st: Halloween – Have a safe and happy Halloween
November 2018 Community Events:
- Thursday Nov 1 @ 5:30-7:45pm: Great Start Livingston Parenting Workshop Week 5
Join Great Start Livingston Parent Coalition for meetings during the 2018-2019 school year on these dates!
*BE SURE TO RSVP TO HOLLYKUPEC@LIVINGSTONESA.ORG
Dinner and Childcare provided at meetings (first come/first serve) – MUST RSVP
Dinner served at 5:45pm/ Meeting from 6:00pm-7:30pm
- Thursday September 20, 2018
- No official meeting in October- join us for our 5 week parenting workshop instead. Save the dates: Thursdays: October 4th, October 11th, October 18th, October 25th, and November 1st. *More info to come!
- Thursday November 15, 2018
- Thursday December 13, 2018
- Thursday January 17, 2019
- Thursday February 21, 2019
- Thursday March 21, 2019
- Thursday April 18, 2019
- Thursday May 16, 2019
- Thursday June 13, 2019
This past spring, Great Start Livingston Parent Coalition had the opportunity to be assessed in how well we are implementing the Strengthening Families format in our work and help us to set goals for our future work. The assessment was done by facilitators from ECIC (Early Childhood Investment Corporation) and was made up of the Great Start Parent Coalition Parent Liaisons and several core parent leaders from the parent coalition. (Nina, Shannon, Lizet and Carrie).
The Strengthening Families Protective Factors Framework is a national research-based initiative that aims to develop and enhance five specific characteristics (called protective factors) that help keep families strong and promotes optimal development of children. These protective factors are: Parental Resilience, Social Connections, Concrete Supports in Times of Need, Knowledge or parenting and child development, and Social and emotional competence of children. To learn more about what the Strengthening Families Format is, Check out our webpage here.
During the process, we identified both the parent coalitions areas where we can improve as well as our areas of strength. We then looked at the evaluation results and created actionable goals that will guide our upcoming parent-led parent coalition work.
A few examples of areas the parent coalition sees as areas we can continue to improve on are:
- The GSPC (Great Start Parent Coalition) provides orientation for new members about the GSPC purpose, goals and objectives. *This is the area for improvement that our parents want to focus on for the upcoming year and have created a goal for.
- Parents have opportunities to share skills, talents and cultural traditions with children and other parents.
A few examples of strengths that came out from the assessment are:
- GSPC (Great Start Parent Coalition) supports families during challenging times
- GSPC provides opportunities for parents to learn about parenting and child develeopment
- GSPC reinforces that parents are the first teachers and key decision makers for their child’s lives
- GSPC supports members in serving as leaders and encourages parents to take on leadership roles. *This is the area of strength that our parents really want to focus on this upcoming year, and have created a goal for.
Overall, the experience was very positive and helpful. It was great to see so many parents excited about the parent coalition work and to learn what they want to work on first and where they want to put their efforts and focus this upcoming year!
If you want to get involved with the work of the parent coalition this upcoming year, please contact HollyKupec@LivingstonESA.org
The Parent Coalition is so important to Livingston County! We strive to meet these purposes:
- To provide a “customer perspective” for the Great Start Collaborative.
- Educate community members about the importance of Early Childhood.
- Support the Great Start Collaborative’s work toward achieving Michigan’s Early Childhood Outcomes.
- Provide information, education and resources to parents raising young children.
Summer Community Events
July 2018 Events:
- Thrs July 26th @ 11am- noon: Butterfly Tea Party at Brighton Library – preregistration required/ages 3-6 with a caregiver
- Thrs July 26th @ 12-1pm: Tiny Tots Color Run at Hartland Library (ages 2-5 yrs/ pre register) * Bring a white shirt and prepare for messy fun
- Mon July 30th @7-8pm Drummunity! Hands –on, high energy drumming for everyone, at Brighton Library. Pre-registration required.
- Tues July 31st @ 10:15-11:15am: Icecream for Breakfast at Brighton Library (ages 3-6 years/ pre register) come in your pjs
- Tues July 31st @ 10:30- noon: Imagination Station Park with Early On (Children ages 0-3 and their caregiver) Downtown Brighton
- Tues July 31st @ 11am- noon: Family Storytime at Pinckney Library
- Tues July 31st @ 12-1230pm Summer Lunch Bunch at the Howell Library* (food is first come first serve), Followed by Water Day Fun on the Library Lawn from 1-2pm (water play games geared for elementary aged children)
August 2018 Events:
- Thurs Aug 2nd @ 10:30-11:30am: GSL Park Playdate at Lakes Elementary School Park/ Hartland
- Thurs Aug 2nd @ 11:30- 12:15pm: Pint Size Polkas (family concert with Polka Music) at Howell library
- Thurs Aug 2nd @ 10-10:30am: Family Storytime at Hartland Library “Planes and Trains”
- Thrs Aug 2nd @ 3-5pm Lego Bricks Rock, all ages welcome at Pinckney Public library
- Friday Aug 3rd @ 10am- 2pm: Help GSL AND LESA Stuff the bus at Howell Walmart by donating back to school supplies and/or cash
- Friday Aug 3rd @ 830pm- 10pm Family Drive in movie at Hartland Library (The Greatest Showman)
- Friday Aug 3rd: Downtown Howell Courthouse Concerts: The Saline Fiddlers
- Tuesday Aug 7th @ 10:30-noon: Howell Nature Center and Playscape with Early On (Children ages 0-3 and their caregivers) *Donation fee required for Nature Center- Suggestion: bring a change or clothes and towel and a sack lunch.
- Tuesday Aug 7th @ 6pm: Summer Reading Extravaganza at Northwest Elementary School in Howell
- Weds Aug 8th @ 10:30-11:30am: GSL Park Playdate at Fowlerville Community Park
- Thursday Aug 9th @ 10am Party Palooza Sundae Fun Day in Millie’s Garden at the Brighton Library (pre- register)
- Friday Aug 10th @ 830pm- 10pm Family Drive in movie at Hartland Library (Coco)
- Tues Aug 14th @ 10:30-noon: Pinckney Park at the Town Square with Early On (Children ages 0-3 and their caregivers). Enjoy the park as well as sensory play and storytime in the shade
- Tuesday Aug 14th @ 6pm: Summer Reading Extravaganza at Northwest Elementary School in Howell
- Aug 15th @ 10-10:45am: Baby Mess Makers at Hartland Library (for ages birth to 2- dress for mess!)
- Aug 15th @ 11am-noon All Ages Prize Party at Pinckney Public library
- Weds Aug 15th: United Way Day of Caring- Volunteer to help stuff backpacks or new mom bags w/ GSL
- Thurs Aug 16th @ 5-8pm: LESA Backpack Distribution and Connect for Kids Event
- Friday Aug 17th @ 4pm- 6:30pm Howell Library End of Summer Extravaganza
- Friday Aug 17th: Downtown Howell Courthouse Concerts: Rhythm Society Orchestra
- Friday Aug 17th, 18th, and 19th: Howell Melon festival (Downtown Howell)
- Saturday Aug 18th @ 11am- 1pm: Summer Reading Finale and Family Concert with The Music Lady at the Hartland Library
- Monday Aug 20th @ 6:30- 8pm: ARC of Livingston Parent Support Group- preregister
- Tuesday Aug 21st @ 6pm: Summer Reading Extravaganza at Northwest Elementary School in Howell
- Aug 21st (Pinckney), Aug 22nd (Howell), Aug 23rd (Fowlerville) and Aug 24th (Brighton) : The Torch Back to School Bash
- Wed Aug 22nd @ 11am- noon: Free Storytime at Barnes and Noble
- Thurs Aug 23rd Summer Lunch Bunch at The Fowlerville Library – do a craft with GSL
- Thurs Aug 23rd @ 6:30- 8:30pm : Thursday Night Theater at Pinckney Library (Wonder)
- Friday Aug 24th: Downtown Howell Courthouse Concerts: Toppermost- Beatles Tribute
- Sat Aug 25th @ 7pm: Free Movie: “Babe” at Historic Howell Theater
September 2018 Events:
- Sept 8th @ 9:30-3:30pm: Family Emergency Readiness Expo
- Sept 8th @ 8am- 1pm: Free Dental Day at Fowlerville Dental Center- registration begins at 7am- first come first serve
Know about other FREE/ Cheap and Family Friendly Fun Events going on around the county? Send the information to Holly Kupec at HollyKupec@LivingstonESA.org and we can add them to our list! 🙂
At Howell Tractor Supply Company